We spent three glorious days in the Bernese Oberland - we had a good amount of rain and clouds, but we managed to eeek out a few great hikes when the weather was clear. Rather than rattle on about the minutiae of the day-to-day, here are just some highlights of our time there followed by a ridiculous amount of photos. Enjoy!
- Apparently Meghan and I curse like sailors when we get overwhelmed by beauty. At one point we were taking in a stunning view and a butterfly fluttered across our view and we freakin lost it.
- During the very cheesy presentation at the Callier Chocolate factory, they had a cow named Gwendolyn talk about her contribution to the chocolate-making process. During it, she referred to the other cows as her 'colleagues'. Obviously we latched onto this, never let it go, and proceeded to give our regards to 'Gwendolyn's colleagues' in the Oberland
- One of our cable cars was FULL of adorable old asian women rattling loudly. As they filed out the last and tiniest one turned to us, shook her head, and said 'SO noisy!'
- The cow all wear different size bells - large, extra large, extra super large, and extra super duper large. These suckers echo like crazy. It's like a chorus of cows everywhere you go
- The weather in the mountains changes at any given sneeze. When a fellow hiker runs past you constantly looking over there shoulder at an approaching storm, you should follow suite
- This video. I can't get over 0:58
- Thunder is extra scary and echo-y in the mountains
- 'Can you hear the croissants?' is a perfectly reasonable thing to say when your trying to finish your morning hike before the hotel stops serving breakfast
- If you take the cable car from First to Grindelwald, do not get off the car when you reach the first transit hut. People will laugh at you. Also, do not get off the car when you reach the second transit hut. People will laugh at you harder.
Bonus, in case you wanted to see my souvenier from the stairs in the Aare: